Current Events and Workshops
Event occurs in the past
Teacher Training lead by
Mark Laham, Louise Sattler
Held at Rama Lotus Yoga Centre
Location Details: Held in the Earth/Sun Room.
Yin Yoga Teaching Intensive
Let go the oars of resistance, and head down Stream....
The practice of Yin Yoga is experiencing a dramatic increase in popularity. Both teachers and students alike are expressing a desire for more depth and knowledge about this contemplative, restorative and energizing style of yoga. Yoga as practiced in North America is almost exclusively Yang or muscular in nature. The Yin aspect of Yoga uses long-held relaxed floor postures to stretch and stimulate the "Yin" or deep connective tissues of the body. The two major differences between a Yin and a Yang Yoga practice are that Yin postures are done with the muscles relaxed and are held for longer times. This is because connective tissue does not stretch like muscle and will not respond well to brief stresses. This gentle practice increases your flexibility, opens your hips, quads, hamstrings, lower back and shoulders and enhances your overall sense of well-being. It is truly a practice in letting go of both the mental and the physical tensions that we store inside. It teaches how to accept what is happening in our bodies and in our lives, while remaining unattached to these experiences.
Who can benefit from this training:
- Yoga instructors who would like to develop their teaching and add balance to their practice.
- Body workers – physiotherapist, RMTs, sports injury therapists, and other therapists wanting to equip their clients with an amazing tool for healing injuries
- All those who wish to develop or deepen their home practice, or their understanding of this style of yoga.
This 30-hour program includes:
- An in-depth exploration of all the Yin Yoga postures, including their variations
- Teachings on how to work with props and adjust for all different body types, including working with special needs students (injury, pain, other physical predicaments) in a regular class
- Sequencing of a yin yoga class
- Meridian Theory as it relates to the yoga poses
- Advanced teaching skills to develop confidence
- In-depth section on anatomy of connective tissue
- Rare video footage of live connective tissue
- Yin Yoga as a meditation practice
- The real benefits of Yin as a tool in teaching us how to let go of resistance
- Course manual and certificate included
- Mark Laham, innovative yoga instructor and seminar leader, teaches the ancient wisdoms of the East combined with modern principles of the West to individuals from all arenas of life. Through yoga classes, development workshops and corporate seminars on stress management, he motivates his students to succeed in all aspects of their lives. Mark was introduced to the Yin practice while experimenting with long held postures in his home practice. He quickly recognized the benefit of spending a little more time in each pose rather then jumping quickly from one to the next. However it wasn't until he came across Paul Grilley's work on connective tissue that he realized that the key concept that was really missing from the North American approach to yoga was the "letting go of resistance" concept. Rather than always trying to control and direct the stretches, you learn how to relax and accept what is happening without resistance. At the same time, his approach to the Yin trains us how to focus our attention, and direct our intentions, proving to be a valuable tool for everyday life.
- Louise Sattler lives a life of passion, sharing and combining her insights and love for horses and yoga with the world. Every day is an adventure, filled with unique discoveries of how the practice of yoga and the magic of horses provide limitless opportunity to evolve consciously. Growing up on the back of a horse, Louise was fortunate to practice her passion every day, competing in Show Jumping up to the international level. Although her passion for riding never subsided, a new one arose over thirteen years ago. Longing for a more harmonious way of being in the world, Louise was drawn to Yoga. After three years of practice, Louise went to the world renowned Kripalu Yoga Centre in Massachusetts, USA to do her first intensive yoga teacher training. Since then she has studied internationally with Ana Forrest. After over 35 years of combined experience both in the saddle and on the yoga mat, Louise enjoys making her living by teaching what she is passionate about: understanding your true nature through the study of yoga and horses.
Dates - 4 Day Intensive:
Thursday, May 3rd - Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Thursday & Friday: 8am - 5pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11am - 6pm
Early Bird: $577+hst for registration before April 3rd
Take 2 trainings and save! Yin Yoga Teacher Training Intensive and Power Yoga Teacher Intensive $998+hst
Please Note: Early Bird registration includes a copy of Mark's Yin Yoga DVD!
Tuition also includes a 5 class yoga package at Rama Lotus (valid for 1 year from start date of the training).
Registration can be done in person, over the phone with Visa or MasterCard by calling 613.234.7974, or online.
Rama Lotus reserves the right to cancel any program at any time. We recommend registering early to ensure your space in the program.
Refunds are available with written notice of cancellation up to 21 days before the course begins (April 12th, 2011) less a $75 cancellation fee. No refunds will be available after April 12th, for any reason, including once the course has started.